[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V4 #304

> Jimm Lubenow wrote:
> I need some help!

    I don't know how long you've been on the pump but, in Pumping Insulin, it says:
"If you have moderate background retinopathy or a more sever case, this eye damage
may temporarily worsen when you start on a pump.  This tendancy for existing eye
damage to worsen is beleived to be triggered by a temporary rise in vascular
endothelial growth (VEGF) levels, in association with high levels of protein kinase
C (PKC).  These factors cause the growth of new blood vessels." ..............."If
your blood sugar control has not been great, your physician may also advise that you
gradually improve your control during the first few weeks on the pump so that less
VEGF is released.  Another approach is to use high doses of Vitamin E for the first
few months.  Usually 1200 or 1500 units a day is needed to reduce PKC which corrects
abnormal blood flow>"
    This may not apply at all  but, I thought it was interesting.