[IP] Re: Doing emails...

Recently Todd gave us some good advice about replying to messages,

>2) I then click "New message" It is important to use "New Message"
>rather than hit the "Reply" button because "reply" will automatically
>have the whole digest as the subject line, and (unless you change it)
>quote the whole digest first. This can be a disaster! Others may prefer
>to use "reply" but then you have to change the subject line and get rid
>of lots of stuff that you aren't quoting.

Good stuff: thanks, Todd! I did find one shortcut, by accident, that offers
an alternative to your steps 1 and 2. First, highlight the part of the
digest you wish to respond to. _Then_, hit the "Reply" button (which sends
to the IP address). In my version of Outlook Express, the new message only
includes the highlighted portion instead of the entire digest; but, of
course, your software may not have that feature. So you don't have to delete
gobs of unwanted stuff in your reply.

You still have to edit the subject line, and you may want to copy the
individual's email address to the "Cc:" line (I generally do).

And thanks for mentioning the "plain text" option. I learned a few months
ago to have my email software set to _always_ do this, and it's saved me
(and others) some grief.

Keith Johnson
Fleischmann Planetarium, Reno NV
email @ redacted
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."