[IP] Re: Trolls (was "Lite Syrup")

Recently Sheila justifiably complained:

>Do any of you think that maybe some people...
>throw an idea or comment to the list just to watch everyone tear it up like
>a piece of meat going to sharks?????

Yes, it's a fairly common practice in mail lists like ours, and in
newsgroups, too. It's called "trolling." The best way to combat it is to
ignore it, or at most respond with a message advising other readers to
ignore it. But it never goes away completely.

BTW: I didn't follow this thread, so I don't know what the original post was
about (so I'm not accusing anyone of the practice right now!).

Keith Johnson
Fleischmann Planetarium, Reno NV
email @ redacted
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."