Re: [IP] M A bracelet

Amie,
You are right.  They, medical teams-Law Enforcement, are not trained to look
for Medical Id.  My husband is a police officer and was explaining to me
that in his first aid training nothing was really said about it.  I wear my
bracelet on my right wrist thinking that my pulse will be taken from that
arm.  On my left wrist i my watch which has a medical id symbol wrapped
around it that says..diabetic, insulin pump wearer. So, maybe between the
two someone will see it.

>If you are having a reaction while driving they will pull you over and if
you do
> not comply they will hand cuff you first then ask questions

The general public (outside law enforcement) must understand the reason for
this.  VERY FEW of the drivers that are pulled for 'careless and reckless'
are driving this way as  a result of an insulin reaction.  I am not sure if
I speak for everyone with D but when I am low I have a loss of energy.  So,
for an officer to handcuff me, it should only take him a few seconds.  There
is no way that I can try to fight or tackle an officer when I am low.
Please understand that it is for the officers safety as well as the drivers
to be handcuffed when they are noncompliant.  I pray that my husband
handcuffs EVERYONE who is noncompliant instead of talking to them and trying
to figure out what is going on first.  The few minutes that an uncuffed
person is given to explain can mean life or death to the officer or the
driver.

Melssa