Re: [IP] A positive experience

Cheers for steve and his friends!  For me adolesence was the hardest time
because I was the only diabetic I knew!  I'm sure it is very exciting to
have someone like you to share those experiences with!  Too bad they
didn't have the internet when I was a kid :)

			Sam!

On Sat, 1 Jul 2000, Sharon Tarca wrote:

> We had the best day today!  Steve (my 14 year old pumper) has been
> corrresponding with a young lady with diabetes from Iowa for about 4 years now.
> He also has become friends with another girl from our town who has diabetes.
> Both girls are at Clara Barton Camp in Massachusetts as junior counselors for
> the summer.  Both of them are pumpers. We went to the camp today and took all
> three of them out to a nearby mall for some shopping and for lunch.
>
> Before lunch came, they all took out meters and tested; then as lunch was
> delivered they "synchronized their pumps" and went about their business of
> devouring every morsel of food on their plates!  One of the girls commented that
> it was so cool to not be the only one testing before eating. They compared pumps
> - one has a Disetronic, one has a MM508, one has a MM507C.  All LOVE their
> pumps!
>
> I am always inspired by these kids - by how matter of fact they are with their
> diabetes and with their self care, how they relate to each other, how three kids
> from different places and different ages can "bond" so easily over blood glucose
> meters and insulin pumps!  I think how devastated we were when Steve was
> diagnosed 9 years ago, and then I think about how many wonderful people we have
> met since that time and how far we've come.
>
> Sharon
> Mom to Steven, age 14, pumping ALMOST one year!

		               Samantha Rohwer
		             email @ redacted
		   	      AOL IM - Sammyr369
		    http://www.u.arizona.edu/~welchs </a>