Re: [IP] Pumping and Surgery (LONG)

In a message dated 7/1/00 6:18:32 PM, email @ redacted writes:

<<  He did insist on giving me
dextrose, but I was only 161 after surgery, so I just did a correction bolus.
No big deal. >>

If anyone is wondering whether to consider trying to get plain saline rather
than a dextrose drip for surgery, here's another thought.  The last time I
had surgery (prepump), the anesthesiologist and surgeon were both so
insistent on the dextrose that I didn't persist in objecting.  During surgery
my blood pressure got low, so they pushed the fluids, giving me a lot more
dextrose that I had planned for.  It took a long time to get the bg reading
of around 400 down, and they were pushing me to eat something so they could
discharge me, which I finally did at a much higher blood sugar than I would
have otherwise just to get out of there.

Linda Z