[IP] Re: Dr. Ponder unleashes Spate of Barking

Dr. Ponder's analogy of a pump to a dog on a leash has sparked a lot of
barking from the pack.  While I have not yet received or seen the book, I
infer from the conversation that the analogy intends to illustrate the
responsibility that goes along with having a dog on a leash.  Much the same
having a pump tethered to oneself.  They both require one's attention, often
at times, in the midst of competing interests.  While the dog on a leash is
only an occasional occurrence the pump is all the time which must be
recognized as a factor in our decision.  The choice must be made to accept
the attendant responsibilities in order to enjoy the benefits from either
the pet or the pump.  While Dr. Ponder's analogy focuses on the ever-present
physical nature of the pump which many, all too often, anticipate to be too
offensive, Melissa's analogy focuses on the emotional aspect of always being
with a friend and finding that relationship sometimes straining but in the
long run very supportive and necessary.  The physical and emotional
components are contained, more or less, in both analogies but the subtle
shift to, and emphasis on, the emotional  in Mellisa's is more appropriate
and better serves its purpose.

Just another 2 cents worth which, with Mellisa's, makes a nickel.
John Kinsley
email @ redacted
Type 1 since 1956
MM 507 since 6/9/98