Re: [IP] had a really bad night.....now what

email @ redacted wrote:
> Can anyone give me some advice on this?   I can't get in touch w/ my endo.
> Last night as I was doing my last bg test before going to bed, I passed out.
> I didn't actuallly get to complete the test so I don't know what my bg was.

Does your meter have a memory and did you actually get the sample on it? Just

> My husband called 911 and as he was talking to them I woke up.  He said I was
> out for about 1-2 minutes.  I checked and my bg was 67.  The EMS people were
> very nice, said I didn't have to go with them if I chose not to, and said to
> be sure to eat and stay awake for at least an hour to monitor my bg.  So
> that's what I did.  Today, I feel like I was hit with a Mack truck and my bg
> has been running in the 200's all day.
> My question is now what?

Your body responded by dumping glycogen to save you, and overdid it a bit. Very
common result in such cases.

 Did I do the right thing?

Sounds like it worked out reasonably well, so I'd say you did OK.

How important is it
> that I contact my endo?

Probably best to talk it over with him. Not much to be done about it now,
but you will have to get the roller coaster ride in your bg chart straightened
now. Test often and try to trim the higher bgs down conservatively so you
don't accentuate the highs and lows. Just watch out for when the liver
starts to recharge what it dumped then, it can be disruptive but can be
planned for with reduced basals or extra food at the appropriate times.

 I've never been through this in the past 15 years.

Definitely scary, but a real learning experience.

Ted Quick