Re: [IP] velosulin

Ruth Schneider wrote:
> > I am new at pumping.  I have never heard of velosulin insulin.  What is it
> > and who uses it?

> velosulin is a 'buffered regular' by NOVO NORDISK and pumpers are using it
> mixed with humalog to help prevent this site degradation.
> 5 parts H to 1 part V
> velosulin used to be used exclusively in pumps before they approved H for
> use.  (correct me if I am wrong on this)

Velosulin was used exclusively before they came out with the current form of
tubing, since the older hoses (before the early 90's?) plugged up frequently
with Regular insulin. Since thenew hoses were introduced Regular is usually
found to be equal to Velosulin. I've been mixing Humalog with R in a 5 to 1
ratio since hearing about it here and find it works just as well as V with H.

Also note that I got V once after getting my first pump in late '93, then
switched back to R long before Humalog became available. Couldn't see any
difference between them at all.