Re: [IP] infection-need advise Thanks

In a message dated 7/30/99 10:43:26 AM, email @ redacted writes:

<< I have these infections quite often >>

I had several sites that had a little pus in them after I changed to the
silhouette from the softset.  (None went to a bad enough infection to affect
blood sugar).  After some pretty elaborate preparation rituals and using
different products, I (for now, anyway) have settled on wiping the washed
site with a benzalkonium cloride antiseptic towelette (and also cleaning my
already washed hands with one) and then when that dries wiping with a Bard
Protective Barrier Film wipe.  The towelette is cheap, the Bard wipe pretty
expensive, but I am hoping to be able to order them with pump supplies and
getting them covered by insurance in the same way that IV Prep was  (which
was what I was using when I began getting these infections).

Evidentally for me the antibiotic on the softset was enough to make a
difference in this, but I still find the silhouettes much more comfortable.

My endo's position was that if I am a staph carrier or something like that,
taking oral antibiotics would only help while I was on them, so she would not
prescribe them.   (Her suggestion was to go back to the softsets.)  I wonder
if this is really a permanent problem, or whether one day I might find I can
be less meticulous.

Linda Zottoli