Re: [IP] MM vs. D

In a message dated 7/29/99 2:19:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< I, personnally don't believe this is a big problem. Why?  Well I don't
 remeber when I took a shot of .5 or .1 units while on MDI therapy.  The D is
 my preference since you get a basal drip every 3 minutes or 20 time an hour
 and you have the capacity to program each hour with a different basal rate
 if you need to.  In addition the reduction in basal rate for exercise is
 really convenient!

I am having a difficult understanding why this isn't important.  The whole
point to the pump over MDI is the ability to give ourselves small amounts of
insulin to match whatever we eat.  If I have a cracker I don't need a whole
unit of insulin.  Most of my doses because of the insulin carb ratio are in
increments of .1. I hardly taken any that are simply rounded to .5,1.0, 1.5,
2.0 etc.  As for the temporary reduction of insulin when exercising I simply
use my temp. basal rate for six hours after exercising. To me the basal rate
for 3 to 15 minutes doesn't seem to be as significant as the ability to give
yourself .1 increments.  I mean ultimately whether it gives every 3 or 15
minutes you still get the same amount of insulin in an hour. The same isn't
true for bolusing if you don't have the ability to give .1 increments.

Kathleen