Re: [IP] Priming question

In a message dated 7/29/99 6:47:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< The rep told me to prime the tubing before I put the
 inserter needle on and bolus .05 after insertion to fill the canula with
 insulin.   >>

Stephen primes the line manually, then puts the syringe in the pump and
primes mechanically as much as is needed to get a drip from the infusion set
(sometimes up to 8 units because the syringe pulled back a little when
putting it in the pump). Then he inserts his silhouette set and connects and
boluses 1 unit to prime the cannula.  This is what the nurse who trained him
said to do and the minimed people too.  I don't know that you could do a 0.05
bolus.  I thought 0.1 was the smallest.  0.5 is the bolus he would take if he
inserted a softset, but the cannula of the sil is bigger, so it takes 1 unit.