Re: [IP] Who should represent diabetes?

In a message dated 7/25/99 1:31:09 PM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< does anyone agree or disagree? >>

OK Greg, I have to say that I disagree with you here.  You are right in that
she doesn't represent ALL people with IDD, but you don't represent them
either.  Deb Butterfield in her book, Showdown with Diabetes, describes 4
stages of diabetes:
1.  Nondiabetic-metabolism not affected yet
2.  Condition-person doing well with injections(or pump), glucose montioring,
3.  Disease-early stages of heart, kidney, eye, or nerve disease
4.  Disability- if blindness, amputation, dialysis occurs

You seem to want people to represent IDD who are in phase 2.  Miss America
fits that.  The woman you describe is in phase 4.  Quit blaming this woman
for not taking care of herself and blame diabetes for robbing her of her

If you want more exposure for people in the condition phase, then you call
the newspaper and demand it.  I did just that last year for my pump group and
it worked.

2 years ago, I was in a small town when they had their Walk for Diabetes.  I
always walk when the event is in my town, but, because I didn't know anyone
there, I decided to run.  I ran 3 or 5 miles, I can't remember now.  Anyway,
since I ran, I, of course crossed the finish line first (LOL, everyone else
was walking).  My picture was on the front page like I had won a race.  It
was kind of funny at the time, but I did take the opportunity to talk about
my pump and how it had changed my life for the better.

I have found that opportunities don't usually happen like that.  I was lucky
in that case.  If you want something to happen, YOU have to make it happen.

Also, when I see a woman like the one you describe, I think that might be me
in a few years so she DOES represent all of us whether you want her to or
not.  Just like I see some human beings that I don't think represent
humanity, but, guess what, they do because they are human.

OK, I'll quit lecturing now and just end by saying, I want that cure because
IDD is a progressive disease and none of us know what phase we'll be in 10 or
15 years from now.