[IP] Wayne, Ager, et al - Nutrition 102

Greetings-
I agree that it's really the protein that is doing most of the high BG 'damage'- 50% of all EXCESS protein metabolized by the body is coverted -eventually- to glucose (and then of course, stored as fat, unless you're jogging it off).  And it seems to me (this is my own speculation here) diabetics are no exception.  However, as most fats come packaged with protein (unless you're swilling straight olive oil on Saturday ;-)nights) those really high fat meals (and we all know how those fat 'exchanges' can quadruple before our eyes)
in truth, only about 5% of the fat is converted to glucose.  So Chubby Hubby, would definitely NOT do it by fat alone, although it certainly would up the ante.  I'd check the protein content on it too. And the carbs.  Basically this is where all that 'balanced diet' stuff comes in.  When diabetics started counting carbs I think it was expected that we, as model non-Oreo-eating personalities  (sorry Sara I couldn't help myself), would also be curtailing excess fats and proteins.  As usual, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Dianne
Who teaches nutrition on occasion, but is by no means an expert.