Re: [IP] Re: Feedback instabilities

>Personally, I think that insulin delivery through subcutaneous fat must
>soon go. It's so problematic. With extreme body-piercing now being in high
>fashion, insulin infusion points going straight to the liver will soon be
>the rage. Much better than iv. Perhaps with 5% NN304 mixed in with Regular,
>you will have some DKA-protection in the event of pump disconnection. The
>implantable pump seems to be fraught with practical problems, and may be
>some way off.

	What do you think about inhaled insulin?  This has the potential to
be much faster acting, though the bugs aren't all worked out?

>I'm not so interested in non-invasive bg meters. Diabetes treatment _is_
>invasive. Far more interesting are the continuous meters. Now that Minimed
>have a continuous (if invasive) bg monitor, when do you reckon they'll put
>the whole shebang together, and give us a hands-free automated control? Is
>it just a question of time and money and a bit of software?

	I agree.  I was only using the noninvasive meter as a means to get
a continuous record  (say every 10 or 15 min) without multiple ifnger
sticks.  I know the doc who is working on the MM system.  I don't think
they will put it together for a very long time.  First the meter is not
that accurate, and second there is still the major problem with rapid
insulin delivery.  (You may not like my integrals and delays, but that
remains a major stumbling block to closing the loop.   Maybe if there were
a way to deliver insulin sub cu in a non-ring form, so that it could be
more rapidly absorbed.  I don't know much about this or even why a  zinc
ring is currently used.  But if you just inject saline under the skin, it
is all absorbed in 10s of mins, not hours like H.  IP or IV might work
better, but these are both much less convenient and riskier that what we do
now.   Of course 20 years ago, most everyone would have though leaving a
cathter in for 4 or 5 days while doing normal activities, even swimming,
would be very very risky.

Cheers,  Hope your voice is still doing well.