Re: [IP] Newbie needs help

email @ redacted wrote:
> I am new at pumping.  I have mastered the infusion sets and all that goes
> along with that.  I am fine operating the pump itself.  I do a zillion blood
> tests a day.  My carb counting is a mess I guess because I keep having
> ridiculous highs that I never had before I went on the pump.  Brkfst is easy
> to figure out. 9 tbs. oatmeal dry and one 6oz peach=60 carb grams.  I always
> make sure to go into any meal at 120 or below.  Using my 20 carb to 1 unit
> huml., I give myself 3 units for this meal.  Lunch has another very easy to
> figure 60 carb grams.  Dinner is the problem most times.  Dinner is where the
> protein and fats come in the picture.  My trainer RN allows veggies to be
> free.  When I sit down to 5oz meat and two servings of  brussel sprouts, I
> see no carbs.  Can you eat this taking no insulin?

Not exactly. You do need to cover the miniml carb found in brussels sprouts.
They are among the few carb containing foods that low carb dieters favor.
Not exactly sure what the carb count is for them, think it's in the 6 gm area
for a normal serving. Check the package (if you buy frozen) they have to tell
you there (at least in the USA).

You also need to include a portion of the meat as carb, usually about 40% of
the total calories, and some 10% for fats.

 Had brkfst out this
> weekend.  Four slices whole wheat toast, two eggs and one brkfst sausage.  I
> figured 70 carbs.  Was I ever wrong.  Went into the meal at a 97 and two
> hours later 329.  Adding fats and protein added to a meal changes everything.
>  How does one figure for these things?

Fat slows down carb absorption most, protein does to a lesser extent. It's
possible that you had a hypo sometime after the meal then had a Somogyi Syndrome
rebound before you tested. When there' a fair amount of fat and protein in
a meal it may be best to spread the bolus out using a square or dual bolus,
if you have an MM 507c, anyway.

It takes experimenting, but a good guide is Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution,
where he gives detailed informaton on low carb dieting, but it is still
informative for your situation.

Ted Quick