[IP] Fwd: Insulin Pumps for Children

-- BEGIN included message

My nephew 4 year old nephew was diagnosed with diabetes last year.  His
parents are very diligent in monitoring his blood sugar levels, diet, and
medication.  They are both health care professionals.  Tristan's mother would
like to place him on an insulin pump, however the endocrinologist who is
their doctor does not want to cooperate with this decision.  He says nothing
clinically supports the idea that insulin pumps in children this young
provide better control and therefore less chance for complications in the
future.  He also states that a child this young will not be able to or want
to wear a machine all the time.

Now, I am a pumper, and I know that the better control you have over this
disease, the better your chances for a happy, healthy life.  I know the pump
is not a cure, but it certainly does improve the quality of life and allows
me to control the disease instead of the disease controlling me.

I need to know where I can find additional information on the pros and cons
of pumps in young children.  Something that we can show to the doctor so he
will believe that young children can benefit from the pump and also the cons
of an insulin pump for young children.  Can anybody help me?

-- END included message