Re: [IP] Who should represent diabetes?

Hi Ginny

It seems to me that the list members were, in both cases, talking about
diabetics who did *not* take care of themselves. My opinion is, if you take
care of yourself to the best of your abilities and complications occur
nonetheless, then G-d bless you: You're entitled to be a spokesperson for
diabetes. If, however, you're guzzling "the real thing," or you're using a
very old-fashioned regimen (2 shots of NPH/day), then it has every appearance
of having gotten *yourself* into the mess. While I'm aware that maintaining
control does not *guarantee* a complication-free life, *not* maintaining
control highly increases your risk of complications. And the two mentioned
seem to have chosen not to educate themselves and have not taken control.
However, there's also the general lack of knowleldge from years ago; the docs
not educating patients or sending patients for education and the patients not
knowing that they don't know what they need to know ...

<sigh> I still say it's a chance for the media to educate and they've not
shown a lot of willingness to do that.

In a message dated 7/25/99 3:07:37 PM US Eastern Standard Time,