[IP] Newbie needs help

It's Robin again, my daughter 10 pumping for 1 month.  This morning woke at
had usual breakfast with usual bolus two hour post meal was 398 so we did 2
unit high sugar bolus and it came down to 232 in 45 min.  My question is why
did it get so high in first place?? Her pump did not give us any alarms as to
no delivery and it's obvioulsly working since she responded to 2nd bolus.
This seems to happen alot.  I'm sure she did her am bolus because I watched
her do it.  We ate dinner out last night and had hard time keeping numbers
down, had to shut off square wave and bolus to catch up.  Thought we finally
did it when 3 am she was 141.  #2  Can anyone recommend a book that will help
us fiqure out this thing, including the insulin-carb ratio?  Like I said
we've been pumping one month and still don't have handle on what it should
be.  Doc started us on a 1 to 1 ratio and has not made any changes.  We're
not getting alot of help from our pump "coach".  Her numbers are all over the
place and I feel we're just using the pump in knee jerk fashion only to
elimate shots and not using as it should be. I'm frustrated and looking for
something that will help.

Thanks for letting me vent a little.    Robin