Re: [IP] Who should represent diabetes?

I wouldn't want a person like this to totally represent all with diabetes,
either. You make a very interesting point when you say that she could scare
people who have been recently diagnosed.

Perhaps you, a doctor or the ADA could contact the media and suggest that
someone else be used *in addition* to this woman. Someone more knowledgeable
about, and in control of, his or her diabetes. It would be a good opportunity
for the media to educate the masses about the dangers of poor control.

The media outlets may even have reporters on staff who have diabetes (hey --
we're *everywhere*!), but even they may not know about DM or how to control
it. I'm thinking of two examples on the staff of the daily here: one hasn't
tested her BGs in years (she "knows" when she's running high or low) and is
not starting to experience complications. The other has been hospitalized
numerous times to take care of complications, but "just can't do what it
takes" to maintain better control. Their habits and control may be all their
editors know about DM.

I also have a (soon to be former) freelancer who is in such poor control that
I've had to scramble to fill in for her one too many times because she "just
feels too bad" from high BGs to get her copy in. It's a small publication
that relies primarily on freelancers and I'm the only person I have to fill
in for her -- generally right on hard deadline when I have two million other
things to do. I've given her books to read, I've tried to educate her, I've
taken her to lunch and given her examples of how to control her BGs, I've
urged her to see an endo ... all to no avail. I am now officially throwing up
my hands and giving up on retaining her as a writer.

But please do think about contacting the media (or having another
knowledgable person or organization to so) and point out that they're using a
very poor example and perhaps they could contrast her with someone who is
living a healthy life because s/he is in control.

In a message dated 7/25/99 1:31:09 PM US Eastern Standard Time,