Re: [IP] Re: birthday parties & Type II Amy

In a message dated 7/24/99 7:14:47 PM Central Daylight Time, email @ redacted

<< But I didn't think to research my own
 disease. I relied on the docs and they didn't tell me about DM, either. >>

Jan,  Brilliant Post!!!  I loved it.  I am Type 1 for 39 years, but I relate
very well to what you said.  Doctors NEVER have given me enough information
to be useful.  I have always had to find it on my own.
One of my pet peeves is a dr. who says "you're non-compliant" or "you're not
following your diet".  I'd like to tell them:  Quit pointing your finger at
me.  It is not me, it is this damn disease I have.  It is a case of blaming
the victim and I am sick of it.  I do not consider !DD a manageable disease.
If you have ever had a low or high, it is not manageable as far as I'm
concerned.  The Pump is NOT a cure.  It is an instrument to assist in
management.  Sure, I have much better control on the pump(my a1c averages
6.0), but I expect those complications from dm to continue even with tight

Just as some drs. and endos do not want their patients on a pump, try asking
your pump endo about transplants?  I have.  He doesn't want to discuss it.
Why?  I don't know, but I have sent off for some info.  Tmt for dm should be
about choices:  mdi, which pump, transplant.  We are all different, but we
need to know what is available now.  I want to make the decision.  I don't
want my dr. deciding what I need to know and what I don't need to know.

I learned more about IDD from reading Pumping Insulin than I ever have
learned from any dr., endo, cde.  I want to be informed.  Thank God for the
internet.  It is much easier to get info because of it.

OK, I have vented enough.  Thanks Jan.  I think you expressed clearly that
people need information badly, but find that it is very difficult to get.