Re: [IP] I found out I am Pregnant today!

Hi April!

Congratulations!  I'm down to the last 7 weeks of pregnancy now.  I had an
insulin pump for 17 years before I started which was a bit of an advantage,
but I had some difficulty those first few months too.  We had spent the 6
months before trying to get good at carb counting etc and suddenly it seemed
like my usually uneven tendancies were all over the place!  I had thought it
would be so easy.  It did level out although the first 2 1/2 months every
time I found a clear pattern, a week or so later it would slide away.  Hang
in there.  Try to keep good records and remember that for the first
trimester your hormones are going wacko.  Sustained high bgs are the biggest
problem so one possible trick is to treat anything over a certain # (170,
180, 200, 240, 250??? whatever works for you) aggressively with humalog and
intentionally over do it, but have a snack (pure carbs -- like fruit)
immediately available and blood test starting an hour later every 15 minutes
until you come down.  I also found that exercise suddenly sent me way low
very quickly.    Lows (above 30) are not risky to the baby unless they last
a long time (an hour or more).  Babies have a lower bg than mothers and
regular pregnant women tend to run bgs of 50-70 much of the time anyway.
Obviously, you don't want to crash and you will (especially 2nd trimester)
drop fast so if you get low, keep testing and don't ignore it.  Highs are
not so great but sustained highs are the largest risk so getting them down
quickly without over doing it and swinging back and forth is important.

You can e-mail me privately if I can help at all.

Hope that helps a little.  Hang in there, you're doing great!