RE: [IP] Re: birthday parties & Type II Amy

I couldn't agree more. I was diagnosed as Type 2 in January and was given
oral medication and just told - 'eat properly and you will be ok' - no
education, nothing more. By the time February came, my BG's were still
ridiculously high with moderate to large keytones. My primary physician
wouldn't refer me to an Endocrinologist, and made a similar comment to me,
"you're Type 2, etc. etc." As he wouldn't give me a referral I found an
Endocrinologist that would see me without a referral - I ended up paying the
consultation fee. Anyway after blood and urine tests it was determined that
I was in fact Type 1 and was put on MDI immediately.

In a later message with this thread, Jan says, the best thing is, "to charge
of your own health". This is very sound advice, my circumstances this year
clearly demonstrated the point - had I continued with my primary physician's
treatment, I'm sure I would have ended up in the ER again.

The Endocrinologist I 'found' is wonderful - she listens to her patients and
involves them in treatment decisions. She was all for me using a pump, and I
have now been pumping for a month - now BG's are really under control, (
most of the time, <VBG> ), and I feel better than I have for about 5 years.

Paul