Re: [IP] Type 1 education - or lack of

In a message dated 7/24/99 9:27:59 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Type 2ís arenít not the only ones that donít get diabetes ed. Some Type
1ís didnít get it either. When my daughter was dxíd at age 8, she we didnít
get any. <snipped some very interesting stuff here>. Dr #3 was a family
physician. His son has diabetes. He set us up with a nurse to help us with
the shots. In the mean time we went to our small community library to find
books on diabetes, they had 4, copyrighted dates from 1956 to 1987 all about
adults >>

About 2 or 3 years ago, I went to our local library and was appalled at the
selection of books on diabetes. To make a long story short, I contacted the
marketing department at the hospital and suggested that they contribute some
books to the library. I even gave them a list of books suggested by some CDEs
I know. The hospital administrator thought it was a *great* idea. The
hospital got some good publicity, the library was pleased to get about $300
worth of books, and the public got some updated information about diabetes.
(I also told the library it should toss all the DM books dated pre-1995, but
they're still on the shelves. <sigh>) I've even contributed a book now and
again myself.

P.S. For those of you who remember that I'm a reporter -- and especially my
reporter colleagues in this group -- I was not working at the time.
Therefore, I did not "strongarm" the hospital and I was not reponsible for
any publicity resulting from the donation.