[IP] Re: birthday parties & Type II Amy

Hey!
Last week I met a Type II diabetic woman at a 'Disabled Meeting' which was sort of a social event with refreshments.  This woman has neuropathy so bad she's in a wheel chair , yet was going on and on about how she won't drink diet drinks because she thinks the taste is horrid.  Well she might be right about the taste (I had a diet coke to 'be sociable' but think that soft drinks in general are not any good for anyone.) She then proceeded to down one of those huge sport's bottles full of regular coke. Then refilled it and had another! She must've had 2 litres of the stuff.
 She was confiding to me all her fears about going on 'the needle'.  I was telling her I used to pass out on the floor if my doc gave me an injection of anything, and I certainly got desensitized to 'shooting up'.  I thought, but didn't say, she might be amazed at how much better she feels when she starts MDI which it sounds like her doc is threatening her with.  I tried to be supportive but couldn't help but think, she's giving the rest of us a bad name.

Dianne