From: email @ redacted <email @ redacted>
To: email @ redacted <email @ redacted>
Cc: email @ redacted <email @ redacted>
Date: Saturday, July 24, 1999 11:11 AM
Subject: [IP] Supplies for Russian Kids

>In my own quest for supplies I was directed toward Lilly' 'Lilly Cares'
Program at 1-800-545-6962.  I got an automated response, if I remember
correctly, and found that the drugs were dispensed on an idividual,
case-by-case basis and mailed directly to a requesting physician.  (My endo
has to contact them and also dispense the insulin to me.)  This program
requires a patient's inability to pay. Basically one needs to be indigent
without benefits- including Medicaid and Medicare - of ANY kind. IF I
qualify, I'll have to pick up the Humalog at my endo's- probably because
it's a prescription drug.  God forbid anyone noses into what we do on this
list, eh?
>I am not even sure I'll qualify as I do get Disability [ and am considered
making too much money :-) by some {obviously not diabetics on pump people or
anyone else who has a clue how much it costs to operate this 'disease'.
>For those who're wondering, I use about 300 Test Strips per month(Lifescan
or Accucheck Advantage), about $200. worth of Propulsid for gastro-paresis,
insulin, lancets yada, yada, yada, and maybe $100. worth of infusion sets,
batteries et al.  I've been keeping track of these expenses since I lost my
insurance and all the social service agencies think surely I must be lying
about them.  The 'ole diabetic' scam.   Pray they will never personally know
the reality of my statements. (I am only posting this information in detail,
as surely there are others who are or will soon be 'falling thru the cracks
and wondering how they're going to support 'their diabetic habit.)  I have
stated before on this list my desire to someday 'warehouse' supplies someday
for pumpers, as this excursion into Povertyville has,at times, been a
diabetic's nightmare for me.
>The test strip companies are the worst.  I have found no programs that
would allow me any leeway whatsoever - no discounts, very few freebies
(Lifescan sent me 50), no deals on strips about to expire. Nearly all the
pharmeceutical companies have some kind of Medical Needs program which will
provide at least some meds for varying periods of time, IF your doc will do
the paperwork.  I have a whole list of these companies, their 800 #'s and
the protocol to follow when applying. I just stumbled across the info while
whining to a woman who works at a Disability center.  I am sure most folks
don't know this exists.
>Eli Lilly and Company
>P.O. Box 9105
>McLean, VA 22102
>You may need to write to get a 'real' person to respond to you.  Worth a
shot, I'm sure.
>Good luck.  And God bless.  I'm sure He has already.  He's certainly been
working thru the folks on this list for me.