[IP] RE: insurance

> Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 15:39:05 EDT
> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: Re: [IP] good stuff
>
> Susan
> Glad to hear you are doing so great.  I hope to be doing as well soon. I have
> a question regarding your insurance.  What is BCBS and where did you get it?
> (Your fellowship?)  Can anyone apply?
>
> Thanks
> April

BCBS = Blue Cross Blue Shield

The fellowship was actually a welcomed surprise... it is the
Board of Governor's Fellowship for Science and Technology for
the state of North Carolina.  After the incoming class
has been decided/made their formal acceptances,
they select one of the new admits for the fellowship.

Different universities have different stories with regards to
insurance for graduate students.  I seriously considered
MIT, Georgia Tech and UNC (chose UNC).  Georgia TEch
offers NOTHING.  MIT doesn't have insurance per se, but
their student health center has $6 co-pay for prescriptions
and an extensive network of physicians - you just have to
get supplemental hospitization/catastrophe coverage.
UNC, at least the department of Computer Science, now gives
ALL of their graduate students Blue Cross Blue Shield (I
assume the rest of the university is the same, but I
couldn't say for sure.).

It sucks that you have to take that into consideration
when making major life decisions - I lucked out for this
one because UNC is where I really wanted to go - their
department (for graphics - my area) is the number one
program.  Georgia Tech was eliminated first solely
because of the insurance question though...

I am sorry this is getting long, but one more thing.  If
a university really wants you, they'll negogiate sometimes.
They can "wing" things like making you a half-time
research scientist (instead of say an assistantship)
and give you the benefits of a full time employee.  Ask.
Be blunt - you need it, you can't afford, you either need
a higher stipend or some help!  Good luck...
I wish insurance wasn't so hard to get!!!

Susan