[IP] RE: what supplies to send to camp

Peter (10) is going to Camp Sioux, a children's diabetes camp, from Sunday
to Saturday. Pumpers are expected to bring their own supplies. I've already
read on this list to take three times what you would expect to use, so I'm
ready to send that along. Here's my question. Peter handles all of the pump
stuff himself, except that he wants me to fill the syringes. He won't be
able to make a full week on one syringe, so can I prefill a syringe, send it
along with him, and have the insulin remain at full strength? Secondly, is
there anything I can say to the camp doctor so that he/she doesn't change
Peter's basal rates? Last year when we picked him up, the staff had dropped
his amount of daily insulin by one-fourth (could not see one indication of
the reason to do this from the blood sugar record sheet), and his blood
sugar was at 400.

Update from last week: I had posted about which time spans to decrease
Peter's basal rate to keep his blood sugars from dropping through the night.
I had to drop him 0.2 units from 3 a.m. to 6 a.m. to keep him level through
the night. However, it seems to have been a phase his body was going
through, and lately he's been too high in the morning. AAGGHH. Wahoo. Back
to the drawing board. Thanks for all of your welcome support.
Joyce Riske