Re: [IP] New pump mom needs help

> Hi..... 10 yr old daughter pumping for three weeks now.  We are
> having trouble getting the infusion set tape to stick longer than a
> day and a half.  We use alcohol, germ soap, skin prep and duoderm
> patch.  Works okay for awhile then is barely hanging on.
This is a common problem for lots of people and is not unique to kids.
You did not say what kind of infusion set you are using.

There are a number of solutions. I will list them all, you choose the
subset that works for you.

IV3000 is a nice tape, hypoallergenic, etc.... but it does not stick
very well. Try Kendall Polyskin II or Tegaderm

Skin Prep:
Smith and Nephew "Skin Prep" (not IV Prep). Puts down a thin tacky
barrier on the skin that improves adhesion and protects the skin if
you happen to be allergic to the tape adhesive.

If you want SERIOUS stickyness, there is some stuff I refer to as
"gorilla snot" for skin. It's used by athletes to make tape adhere to
legs, etc... when they need to "tape up". It is called tincture of
benzoin and it really makes things stick. Don't use it if you are
allergic to iodine.

With sofsets, you can put a base layer of tape down first before doing
the insertion, that will help things stick better, usually over some
skin prep.

Apply a clear unscented anti-persperant and let it dry prior to
prepping the site. This will inhibit sweating under the tape.

> Have had
> only 1 set last the full three days.  Saw earlier post suggesting
> skin-tac and will look into that, just looking for other
> suggestions.  Also getting big air bubbles in tubing when we were
> sure the reservior was air free.  Our endo said they may be created
> from wide temperature swings; playing outside in heat then coming in
> to air conditioning, agree?
Naw --- try letting the vial of insulin come to room temperature
before filling the syringe. That will remove a lot of the dissolved