Re: [IP] is their something new from MM ??

Brian and all IP,
<FDA had just approved an implantable device that
alarms when BGs drop to low..>
That is a month-old and anticipating future development from
what we have already seen, 14June99 from our dear Minimed and
the "Glucose Sensor" we won't be able to read or get any numbers
out of "while wearing it" for the 3-days that doctors will get to
send it out on one of us before I/you/she take it back
for "health professional" to read-out and interpret.
The "implant" is the (apparently) infusion-set-like "sensor"
I saw the device shown and described in May at IDAA conf,
others may have seen and heard about it at ADA-SanDiego meeting (?)
Future development and later modification ( and re-approvals )
can be expected to extend this limited first-release to include
the described "alarm on low" function.
Web references: ( I hope my hotmail-email does not insert itself here)
http://www.minimed.com/files/pr_35.htm Jun 14 MM Press Release PMA FDA
http://www.minimed.com/files/snsr_faq.htm Continuous Glucose Mon FAQ
http://www.minimed.com/files/snsr_fac.htm Fact Sheet
wherein we ALL can "sign up" to participate in their "trials"
(even those Disetronic-partisans like me.)

Competition is also on the move, at Cygnus in RedwoodCity, CA :
http://www.cygn.com/glucowatch.html has sent in its PMA too, and
had somewhat similar "first application" limitations during its
clinical trials, but I understand its first release would
actually "show numbers". If it doesn't, they both have to wait
for their second-editions to be immediately readable while worn.
On Glucowatch we can also anticipate "future" functions,
including the same idea of "alarm on low Bg",
which I heard of in the IEEE meeting abstracted at:

I have long suggested that those of us already accustomed to using the
insulin pump would be the first and most-ready to
be so similarly attached to something "stuck in" our skin
(MimiMed's 72-hour glucose sensor and its wire) or even "stuck on",
the 12-hour duration of the GlucoWatch' AutoSensor.

Oh, somebody asked about GlucoWatch battery lifetime here recently:
GlucoWatch uses a re-chargeable metal-hydride AAA cell, but can
be powered by "ordinary alkaline AAA" in extremis.

David C. Winegarden
Fremont, CA