Re: [IP] Is pricing a pump like brokering a Middle East peace?

After much stress and frustration dealing with my HMO I would say call all
day all the time. Don't wait. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. If nothing
else they will do something just so you'll stop bugging them. It took me
almost 6 months to get supplies for my pump. The red tape was incredible
and they asked questions like "Why does some one so young need an insulin
pump. (as if only old people got diabetes) Just keep after them. Good luck!

At 08:18 AM 7/20/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Whoever said "Don't count your chickens before they hatch" was right. I
>called my insurance today to see how the price wars
>between the two pump manufacturers is going and the insurance lady told me
>she has to negotiate so give her until Friday.
>   I think I'm being jerked around again  and before dismissing  this
>possibility, consider that after July 31, this insurer WILL no longer be my
>employer's insurance. I think the insurance company has figured that out and
>are dragging their feet.
>   My doctor's office has their approval for the pump in writing but the
>chief financial officer of my company said until I have the pump in my hand
>and the bill has been issued it's not a done deal.
>    (WHINE DEPARTMENT: This has been the pits.. First I can't find out if my
>employer  is keeping the same insurance or  when they will change; next one
>doctor then the Endo goes on vacation delaying the order from going in for
>two weeks, then the insurance company sits on everything for three weeks
>approving it, and now this. END WHINE)
>   I can't see what should take so long about choosing.  They get one price.
>They get the other and  pick the lowest. What's so hard? (BTW, I've told
>them my preference, for whatever good that will do)
>    Do you think I should really wait to call them until Friday. Seems to me
>they are just going to tell me on Friday, "Nothing yet. Call back Monday."
>By then they will be in spitting distance of the end of my coverage. It is
>illegal for them to deny me coverage because my company's contract is
>running out. but how do I prove it?
>Send help (or chocolate)

Lisa A. Jones