[IP] Re: Kelly's Tea Party

<< ...She also said she raised 4 children and they never had
 cake, ice cream or candy (poor kids). >>

>OK, I don't want anyone throwing french fries at me, but I have to comment
>here.  I do not consider these "poor kids".  I have two children who were
>raised without alot of sweets and junk food.  I consider them very lucky
>kids.  Neither one has diabetes, but I believe in healthy eating.  Of course,
>they had cake and ice cream occassionally and when they were teens, they ate
>alot of candy and coke.  That said, now that they are practically grown, they
>both eat healthily.  I think this is because of the training they got as kids.
I think I was the one who started this, and I wish to respond.  I agree
you whole heartedly that "healthy eating" is the best choice.  When I
sent the
original email I wasn't implying that junk food should be a big part of
life, just that an occasional sweet here and there doesn't really hurt.
fact it can make a child feel more normal at "social" events.

Growing up
I always had a balanced meal of a protein, starch, and vegetable.
My parents never were of the planned dessert type, even before I was
So often it was a choice within a bowl of fruit.
To this day I can't turn down a "nice shiny red apple." :)
However, an occassional piece of birthday cake at a party is a big treat
even for a non IDD child, especially if it isn't something they see at
home very often.
Most of the friends I met at camp who were on the strict diets of no
etc., were the ones who were always in and out of the hospital and were
unhappy.  Many had very low self esteem.  I'm not saying this can all be
cured by a slice of Chocolate Birthday cake...but the 4 or 5 times a
I got a piece sure made my week.  :)  Maybe I am out in left field on
one, but there is something about eating a piece of birthday cake that
me feel normal, just like all the other kids.

On one note:  I remember going to a friends bday party when I was 7 and
mother was an RN.  My mother, also an RN, had called ahead of time and
her it was ok to cut me a piece of birthday cake.  (I was pretty good as
kid to know how I would feel after eating certain foods, so at parties I
never overdid it.  My mom would give me 1u extra of R to cover the cake
and the party would usually go off without a hitch or a high later).
At the party, when the mother was handing out slices of cake, she told
I couldn't have a piece, but I could have this instead (she handed me a
of CareFree gum).  I told her I didn't want the gum and that I wanted a
piece of cake.  She told me my mother should know better, and that she
doing me a favor.  (Pack of gum back in my face).  I told her that I
a piece of cake, please. (Percocious little thing wasn't I? :) ) She
me why I thought I could have a piece of cake in my "condition?" (I was
did she think I was pregnant?).  I told her that my mom and I learned
how to cover it and that when I went to Janet's party I got a piece,
when I went to Marie's party I got a piece, when I went to Jill's party
I got a piece, and they were all ok with it. (Hands on hips and pouty
now...I was 7).  Well,...I never! She responded.  She then cut me a
piece of cake and told me I could keep the gum anyways...she had had
I told her to keep the gum, since I was deathly allergic to saccarin.

Needless to say, I was never allowed to go back to their house.  But
that...her daughter always wanted to hang out at mine. :)

-- Sherry