Re: [IP] Blood donations

In a message dated 7/15/99 9:44:50 PM, email @ redacted writes:

<<How can anyone be harmed by donating blood?  To my knowledge, it is

Years ago when I worked in a biochemistry lab, I sometimes used myself for
blood samples for the experiments.  I stopped doing it when I realized that
after removing the (usually) 90ml of blood, I would always show ketones in my
urine.  This was in the very early days of home glucose monitoring, and my
control was not yet very good, but control did seem to be worse after taking
the blood (which would be consistent with having the ketones if for no other

Whether there would be any problems with a really well-controlled diabetic, I
don't know -- I did use friends a couple times who were in somewhat better
control, and they claimed it didn't cause any problems.  Or it might just be
another YMMV.

Linda Zottoli