[IP] exercise and low bg

My problem is that my blood glucose drops pretty rapidly when I exercise; for
example, after walking 30 minutes it may drop 70 points on the glucometer. I
may   walk, garden, swim, bicycle on and off at irregular times during the
day. I saw my diabetes MD yesterday and my HgA1c was 5.3- he concluded
rightly that I have too many low blood sugars.
My way of dealing with this has been to eat 15 to 30 grams of CHO every 30-60
minutes when I am exercising, but this hasn't been enought. My MD suggested
suspending the pump when I exercise but my basal rate is only .2 units of
Humalog per hour ( I don't see how this is enough to make the blood sugars
drop). I  also  have a concern that the cannula may obstruct if I suspend for
long periods of time. I can see only a few possible ways to deal with this
problen:
1. reduce the meal time boluses before exercise.
2. check blood sugars frequently and eat carbs as required
3. Suspend  the pump during exercise.

I would appreciate any suggestions for dealing with this problem.
Thanks!
Richard