Subject: [IP] RE: which basal time spread to change?

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 09:05:02 -0500
Hi Joyce,
I blood sugar is dropping steadily all night, but picks up speed toward the
early am.  He probably needs a .1 u decrease starting 1 hour before the drop
starts (9 pm?), then watch to see if they are still dropping 4 am till 6 am.
Usually that's a time that growing kids go up, but not everybody!  Re-read
the chapter on adjusting basal rates either on IP or "Pumping Insulin".

Nancy Morgan

My 10-year-old son drops low during the night, unless
he eats a snack before he goes to bed and doesn't bolus
for it. Last night, I had a clean shot (no insulin interfering,
no pun intended) to check his blood sugars. Here's what
I saw:
10 p.m. - 125,
12 a.m. - 115,
2 a.m. - 110,
4 a.m., 91,
7 a.m. - 68

His basal rate is 1.1 from midnight to 6 a.m. The other
times his basal rate is at 0.8. I'm thinking to drop his
basal rate from 4 to 6 a.m. to 1.0. Is that enough of a
time spread to show a difference?

Joyce Riske