Re: [IP] What not to say to diabetic children

Deb,  The best thing to do is to discuss this with him.  I, of course, am
much older now, but I have instructed my sons (they are 16 and 20) since they
were young to ask me to check my bg.  In other words, if they think I am
acting "funny," then they should say "Mom, I would like you to check your
bg?"  This has always worked for me.  I do it and if I am low I will eat
something.  They have been instructed NOT to ask "Are you low?" because like
I have said I will always answer no.
I think the No answer is just part of the reaction.  I have one son who is
excellent with me concerning lows and the other one is learning.  The one who
is learning gets angry and demands I eat something.  This NEVER works for me.
 The other one is very subtle and that works well.  My husband is subtle too.
I have told this story before but it worked perfectly for me.  We had stopped
at a gas station and I checked my bg and I was low.  I said I was going in to
get something to eat and they should get something too.  Well one of my
problems when low is making a decision.  My sons were eating and I was still
trying to decide what particular drink to get for my low.  I wanted something
good.  My older son came over and asked me what I was doing.  I said I was
trying to decide which drink I wanted.  He went and brought a coke and came
back and said "well while you are deciding, drink this."  I took it and drank
it.  This works for me.  Getting angry or reprimanding me just doesn't work.
I would suggest you discuss this with your son and do what works with him.