[IP] re:what parents say

The week I came out of hospital after being diagnosed, (aged 7) I
remember asking my mum why I couldn't have marmalade on my toast any
more. She very apologetically replied "because it will stop your
insulin working properly and then you'll die". I sat there watching my
dad (a type I diabetic) put a large spoonful of marmalade on his toast
and couldn't figure out why he wasn't dead yet. For some reason I held my
tongue on that one....