Re: [IP] What not to say or do to diabetic children....

My mom was very difficult. I think somewhere down deep she blamed herself for my
dm.  It was rough from the start I was 12 years old at the time..  I was
diagnosed at Eastertime.  She threw out my candy in front of (I was sobbing
because I thought she was punishing me for something I did wrong.  On several
ocassions she told me God was punishing me and I needed to think about what I did
to deserve it.  I was scheduled to go to a camp in June of that year but my mom
told there would be no more going away from home-too bad.  My doctor also offered
to pay for me to attend a diabetic camp In Alabama but she told him NO we don't
take handouts.  My advice is to not accuse our children of causing the disease or
punish them for it.  Believe it or not I rebelled but did mostly the right things
in my care. I had my moments and times of denial but I'm still hanging in there.
Now my mom has high bgs(recently) When I showed concern she told me to buut out
what did I know I just wanted her to feel bad and why can't just let an old woman
enjoy eating whatever. She's not old-only 58.  It's a shame!Sheila