Re: [IP] What not to say to diabetic children

<< In a message dated 7/12/99 3:26:52 PM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:
 << Is there anything your mom or dad used to say or do that drove you crazy?
  Is there anything that they didn't do, that you now regret as an adult
  diabetic? >>
 from Mom:
 1. Are you low?
     My reply to this is always NO.  I have never replied yes to this
question whether I am
     hypo or not.
 2. You have to eat everything on your plate.
 3.  Don't forget to take your insulin?
 All these seem innocent enough but when I was a teenager, I had had D for 5
years already and pretty much knew the routine.
 from dr:
 4.  You are NOT following your diet.  You have too many 4+ tests.
 5.  You'll be dead by the time you're 30.(first dr.)
 6.  You'll be dead before you turn 40. (next 2 drs.)
 When I was a teen, after statement #5, I made a pledge that I would live
until 50.  At the time that seemed really OLD to me.  I will be 50 in 2 years
and I am giving a HUGE party for myself. You are all invited.  I would like
to invite these drs, but one is dead and one is in another state and I don't
have a clue about the third.  He was an ER doc.
 What I regret most was that my parents never sent me to a dr. that I could
communicate with.  The dr. I had as a child talked to my mother, not to me.
When I left home, I didn't go to a dr. for quite a few years.  I had decided
that they ALL were stupid when it came to D.  I think that a child should be
comfortable enough to ask questions.  I never asked a question.  I listened
to his monologue and left.  The same old stuff over and over.
 ellen   >>