Re: [IP] MTM and the poor diabetic children

In a message dated 7/12/99 1:16:39 PM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

 <<And if we want to cure this
 thing, we better get used to doing whatever the public wants to make them
 open their wallets >>

I'm with you 100% Vicki.  I think you have hit the nail on the head or the
plunger on the syringe or the strip on the meter, or whatever.
I think what some parents might not understand is that we who have grown up
with D have spent alot of our life playing normal in everything we do.  A lot
of us were in denial about the devastating effects of D until they start to
hit us personally.  Then we start thinking that this disease IS really bad.
I think I was in denial for about 15 years.  I was taking care of myself most
of the time but I did not want to hear all the bad news about D.  I just
personally didn't want to deal with it.  When I finally accepted D, all that
changed.  Having had IDD for 39 years, I have been very lucky with few
complications.  I know that the complications are inevitable and even though
I may maintain relatively good control, this disease will slowly but surely
destroy my body.  I believe like you that whatever it takes to get people to
give money for a cure, then that's OK with me.  I accept my D and feel good
about myself so I really don't care whether people feel sorry for me.

I am making a push now to get corporate sponsors for our Walk in October.
When I talk to these people, I try to appeal in any way that I think will get
them involved.  Last year I had breast cancer and I used the sympathy routine
with alot of people and it worked.  I appreciate more than ever how lucky I
am and how much support I have.  I am healthy and happy and energetic now and
I want to do whatever it takes so my children and future grandchildren don't
have to deal with this disease.  I want that cure.  ellen