[IP] What not to say to a kid - the parent's perspective

Thanks, Sherry, for acknowledging that your parents weren't just being a
pain, they were actually trying to look after you, and were usually right
about what you needed to do.  I read some of the posts with guilt, because
I've said a whole lot of those things to Jenna, but I just want her to be
healthy.  At 10, she's not very rebellious yet, but I guess it will  happen.
But here's my question.  We started teaching Jenna the principles of tight
control since she was diagnosed at 8 yo.  Lord knows, she has plenty of
sugars that are out of target range, and I don't scold her at all for that,
but I do make her tell me what we need to do about it, ie, develop an action
plan.  I think she now has internalized the message that we're always
shooting for target range.  But she has two friends, 1 a year older and 1 a
year younger than her, who were diagnosed as toddlers, and both on MDI until
this year.  Both of them regularly have sugars in the 200-400 range, and
they just don't see a problem with that.  They have come to expect and
accept poor control over the years.  Interestingly, neither of their A-1-C's
have improved from the 8-9 range that they were pre-pump.  Do those of you
who have done battle with DM since childhood think that the expectations
your parents set helped  you to control your diabetes later in life
(especially after "rebellion" was over)?  As St. Paul said, "Train up a
child in the ways he should go..."
I hope I am doing more right than wrong for Jenna, because I love her so
much.   And I hope all of you that remember the things your parents said
know that they probably did it out of love, too.

Nancy Morgan, Jenna's mom