Re: [IP] How much fat is too much?

<<<<<<<<<I pulled off this list and went two ways: pump advocacy on the
general list, and running the UK version of this list: IP-UK. >>>>>>>>>
		So do all the old fart docs in the UK now love the pump?  *S*

>         Also, I'm not sure that the hepatic only insulin would change our
> life that much.
<<<<<<<It's a bugger: too much glucose and you get small vessel disease.
But too
much insulin and you get large vessel disease. Only solution is to put the
insulin where it should be - in the most robust of organs - the liver.<<<<<<<<
		Well you might be right here, but I don't think it would be
that easy to predict those effects on the cardiovascular system.  It is
very multifactorial, and your genes are proabably the biggest factor. Too
bad we can't just take our old genes and throw them in the wash :-)

>         What we really need someone to develop is an even faster acting
> insulin than Humalog.  For most of us, the BG rise from CHO ingestion
> occurs much earlier than the insulin can get into the blood.  With a normal
> person, when the BG starts to rise, the insulin is increase on a minute
> time scale, not over hours like with us poor unfortunates :-)
<<<<<<<<<<The solution is already here: peritonal catheter + pump. Insulin goes
straight into your liver via a permanent tube. Available in France and
Germany, but not America. Trouble is that an infected infusion site becomes
hepatitis instead. Not nice. And it tends to fall out inside...<<<<<<<<<
		Yes, mucking about with the peritoneal cavity can be very
problematic.  And you can't do replacements yourself either.  Those deep
pain receptor----ouch!

<<<<<<And of course, the faster the insulin the more unstable the system,
and the
less resiliant to insult.>>>>>>>>
		Actually the opposite is true.  In control system analysis,
adding delays or integrals will lead to instabilities.   Faster (even
adding derivatives--pardon the high tech) is better for stability.  For us
pumpers, though, too fast absorption could cause problems mainly because we
often don't have a clue as to what our GI system is doing with what we eat.
However, I'd be happier with an insulin that worked about twice as fast as
humalog.  Any faster and I'd be worried.

<<<<<<<<<The battle for a cure is being fought on so many fronts. No one
knows where
the big breakthrough will come (let's face it: there has been _no_ major
breakthrough since the discovery of insulin 75 years ago, and life on an
insulin pump is pretty shitty). They can grow islet cells in culture now,
but they have a habit of stopping insulin production by the 3rd generation.
But there's a mutant version that's being explored.
Let's hope in 10 years time we'll be heading off to the hospital for our
3-monthly islet cell injection, and arguing on this list as to whether the
Walmart or Lily-Novo cells are better... :-)
		Yes, there are tremendous things going on in many research
areas that bear on diabetes.  I too think that the best solution will be
found with replaceable beta cells.  With the intense research going on in
immunology, it think it is very likely that the rejection problem with
foreign beta cells will be solved in the near future.  I think you can
almost already get 3 month injections, but I'm looking toward 3 year (or
longer) boosters.   Maybe in even less than 10 years.   A word of warning
to all you Minimed stock holders--don't hold that stock too long *S*