Re: [IP] Fundraising out LOUD

A few months ago I wrote a letter to the newspaper asking for
increased funds for research on DM.  I got an unfriendly reply
because I had done a comparison between AIDS funding and DM
funding.  In the reply the writer suggested that "diabetes advocates
learn from the AIDS community about how to effectively appeal" for
research monies.  So today I'm calling on all diabetics and those
affected by them to ACT UP!  (or as Sara put it, "Be Loud, Be
Proud....BE BUMPY!!!")  If not for ourselves, then for our children
and our children's children, we must ACT UP, BE LOUD and
demand our "fair share" of the funding.  Their future can be better!

important is happening -- don't worry.' So, when something
important IS going on, silence is a lie."
-A.M. Rosental

> To all the people I royally p***ed off with my post about Mary Tyler Moore and the
> fundraising letters. . .

> recognize that diabetes has horrific and insidious effects.  That said, I don't
> want diabetics to be perceived as hopeless victims, and I don't want diabetics to
> perceive themselves that way.  I think that perception is every bit as deadly as a
> failing kidney.  I want people to be careful about how they portray diabetes to the
> world, even in the name of fundraising for a cure.

I'm not hopeless, but if it gets more funding, I can play the part!

George Lovelace