Re: [IP] How much fat is too much?

>         Well hello John.  I was almost ready to write a comment regarding
> how so many pumpers on this list are like ships passing in the night, never
> to be seen or heard again.  Nice to know you're still alive and kicking
> :-).

I pulled off this list and went two ways: pump advocacy on the Diabetes-UK
general list, and running the UK version of this list: IP-UK. A German
language list, IP-Deutsch, is just starting as well. Susi is running the
show there.

>         I'd be concerned about having this new albumin bound isulin hanging
> around.   At least, it is not obvious that it would help us pumpers.

It wouldn't. It would replace NPH and prevent the ubiquitous night-time
hypo - caused mostly by irregular peaking and absorbtion. I've no idea what
happens to the bits that fall off: presumably they get swept up by the

>         Also, I'm not sure that the hepatic only insulin would change our
> life that much.

It would reduce the amount of insulin in arterial circulation. Since we
inject the stuff in the wrong place, we have several time too much insulin
in our arteries. This is thought in many people to cause the arterial and
heart disease, since the excess insulin causes fat to be laid down on the
artery walls.

It's a bugger: too much glucose and you get small vessel disease. But too
much insulin and you get large vessel disease. Only solution is to put the
insulin where it should be - in the most robust of organs - the liver.

> (Actually over 80% of the normal insulin is taken up by the liver).

I think it's on the first pass 50% is taken up. But we agree on the principle.

>         What we really need someone to develop is an even faster acting
> insulin than Humalog.  For most of us, the BG rise from CHO ingestion
> occurs much earlier than the insulin can get into the blood.  With a normal
> person, when the BG starts to rise, the insulin is increase on a minute
> time scale, not over hours like with us poor unfortunates :-)

The solution is already here: peritonal catheter + pump. Insulin goes
straight into your liver via a permanent tube. Available in France and
Germany, but not America. Trouble is that an infected infusion site becomes
hepatitis instead. Not nice. And it tends to fall out inside...

And of course, the faster the insulin the more unstable the system, and the
less resiliant to insult.

The battle for a cure is being fought on so many fronts. No one knows where
the big breakthrough will come (let's face it: there has been _no_ major
breakthrough since the discovery of insulin 75 years ago, and life on an
insulin pump is pretty shitty). They can grow islet cells in culture now,
but they have a habit of stopping insulin production by the 3rd generation.
But there's a mutant version that's being explored.

How would you feel if a vaccine were found tomorrow which prevented all new
cases of diabetes? Much work is being done in this field, and this is of
course the ultimate goal. There would then be no long-term benefit in
improving treatments for those already with diabetes, since we would soon
be history. We poor unfortunates would be left to live out our lives as
best we can...

Let's hope in 10 years time we'll be heading off to the hospital for our
3-monthly islet cell injection, and arguing on this list as to whether the
Walmart or Lily-Novo cells are better... :-)

mailto:email @ redacted