Re: [IP] How much fat is too much?

>Susan, you've hit on a topic about which even the medical professional
>can't agree (so what else is new?)
>Yes, the fat mixed with CHO will delay the absorption, but there's a lot of
>anecdotal evidence that  if you bolus precisely for the CHO, even taking
>into consideration the delay, you may still go high several hours later.
>This is a very variable phenomenon (YMMV as we say), even within an
>individual.  There is very little practical information known about the
>role of insulin in fat cell metabolism.

Wayne - hi! :) John here. Yes, I'm still around occasionally...

I went to a JDF conference in London, England last month. Very interesting
day. A numer of JDF-sponsored researchers were giving talks on their work.
One that interested me was on fat metabolism. Aha! I thought. Some insight
into the cutting edge stuff on the role insulin plays in processing the fat
in your blood. Everyone focuses on the insulin-glucose relationship,
ignoring the insulin-fat one. Result of the talk? Disappointment. Much talk
of good and bad cholestrol. Eat your fish and greens. Skip the steak and
salt. Insulin not mentioned. I asked about this in questions from the
floor, but got no informed reply.

A much better talk was on the new genetically modified insulins they are
developing at St Thomas' Hospital (opposite Houses of Parliament). One,
NN304, is a soluble long acting insulin. Goes straight into blood, like
Regular or Humalog, but has bits of albumin hanging off each molecule.
Distributes itself around the body, then the albumin drops off, allowing
the insulin molecule to work. Very steady action, no peaks and avoids the
irregular absorbtion from subcutaneous fat.

Even more fascinating was the hepatic (liver only) insulin. This insulin
molecule has been enlarged so it will not pass into the muscles, but can
only be used up in the liver. In the non-diabetic, the liver has first use
of all insulin, since it is immediately downstream of the pancreas, and 50%
is used up there. Since we inject or infuse it into general circulation,
the muscles are bathed in too much insulin, causing you to go hypo when you
exercise, and the liver has too little insulin, meaning you have too little
glycogen stored there. By mixing hepatic insulin and regular insulin, you
can redress this imbalance. All they need is a few more million to complete
the research, and a drugs company to spend 100million on the clinical

mailto:email @ redacted