Re: [IP] Tearing my hair out over carb counting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

	When I started counting carbs (about a year before I went on the
pump) I went to Barnes and Noble and looked at the myriad of carb counting
books available.  The one I chose was Carbohydrates, Calories & Fat in Your
Food by Dr. Art Ulene.  For about a month, this book and I were inseparable
as I weighed my portions at home, guessed on the weights when eating out, and
figured out the carb levels of homemade foods.  I understand what you're
going through.  You feel as if it's punishment just to EAT.  And it makes it
too easy to grab for that "known quantity" in pre-packaged foods with their
nutritional values all spelled out.  After a few weeks of this time-consuming
regimen, carb counting gets to be second nature, and you are able to enjoy a
meal without consulting your 700 page book between bites.
	Many restaurants and fast food places have nutritional info available
in brochures or online.  When you're eating out, it is very difficult to
gauge the carb value simply because you don't know what you're eating, and
restaurant food is often full of fat and sugar and everything else that makes
your bg's soar.
	I made a ring-bound index card flip book, with a card for each letter
of the alphabet.  On each card I listed foods that I eat often (at home or in
a restaurant) and MY usual serving size with the corresponding carb value.  I
carried that in my purse for months.  Now I'm pretty good at guesstimating
just about everything.  It just takes time.  And you are learning carb
counting and pumping simultaneously....an awesome feat!  Hang in there.  It's
going to take a lot of time for the first few weeks, but it won't be long
before you're looking at a meal and calculating the carbs in just a few
	Just check your bg often and fine tune your levels with glucose tabs
or a bolus.  It's a piece of cake...WITH icing!  I hope this helps you get
through a *stressful* time!  Karen