Re: [IP]Diabetic siezure question

> > Yes they are different, the epileptic seizure can be described simply
> > as an electrical storm in the brain. Usually there is inappropriate
> > feedback between the two hemispheres and the storm grows out of
> > control disrupting nueral activity. A seizure caused by low blood
> > sugar is the result of depriving the brain of it source of energy.
> > the brain stops working properly and the nervous system is then not
> > under control. Any type of seizure is potentially dangerous and in
> > rare instances may cause death from numerous causes related to
> > failure of various body systems to function properly.
> Not to seem critical, but what you've posted above is a description
> of the difference in *causes* of the two types of seizure, rather
> than differences in the seizures themselves.  I think what the
> original poster was looking for, and what I'm interested in now too,
> is whether or not there are differences in the seizures themselves
> (e.g., duration, mechanism, etc., etc.).  I'm not even sure what
> sort of sort of terms the differences might be described in.
Don't know the answer. The fundamental mechanism is much different in
the two types of events even though the outward appearences are
different. The brain can "learn" how to do an epleptic seizure and
this is part of the problem. In the most extreme cases ( only a
few in the world), the connection between the two hemispheres is
surgically severed to stop the seizure epsiodes which have become
life threatening. I doubt that this procedure would have any effect
whatsoever on a low blood sugar seizure, however I'm speaking only as
an informed lay person on the subject, regurgitating what I have