Re: [IP] Suggestions on talking with camp administrators/nurses?

> Any advice on the most important things to say to camp
> administrators/nurses about the use of the pump when your child is
> going to a camp where she/he will be the only child with
> diabetes????  Andrea (14) heads off to Cross country camp in 2 weeks
> and I find I don't have the important facts about pumps set in my
> mind yet.  I've got the regular "patter" down (yes, she can eat
> 'regular' food --- no, the camp nurse is NOT allowed to change her
> insulin dosages, but, yes, Andrea can, etc.), but wondered what
> types of information other parents have found useful to give to camp
> directors/nurses.
>  (Also applicable to those incessant school trips)

Mostly that they should be aware that she has diabetes and may need
their assistance if she is low. Explain her unique low symptoms, what
to watch for etc.... A brief explanation of exactly what they should
do if she should have and incapacitating hypo, where the supplies are
and what to do with them as well as assurance that they can do no
harm by giving her glucose or glucagon if it appears to be needed.

See the "Letter to Teachers and Coaches" on the Kids Page of the web
site. It is long and detailed. You can excerpt the information you
feel is necessary or add to it.