Subject: Re: Subject: Re: [IP] Stomach really the only site?

If she's a state champion on MDI, the pump will free her tremendously from
worry about high / low sugars during long practices and long meets.  Can't
get supper in the middle of a meet?  No problem!

Pumps are about the same size as a pager.  I think the actual dimensions are
on the company's web pages.  Jenna's is 2 1/8" wide by 3 3/8" tall by 3/4"
thick (I just went and measured it).  For Jenna, in gymnastics, if the pump
were on her front side, it would hit on the uneven bars, and if it were on
her backside, it would be uncomfortable to do floor skills with (I have no
doubts the pump would survive, but it is hard plastic, and wouldn't be
comfortable).  So the underarm was the best place.  But you could sure put
it anywhere if you discovered that the underarm location interfered with her
arm strokes.  Don't get discouraged until you get all the information about
it.  I really think all things are possible with the pump.

Last week, Jenna had gymnastics team camp from 9 am till 2 pm, then regular
practice from 5 pm till 8 pm.  8 hours a day of strenuous exercise will
definitely affect your insulin needs.  With the pump, we ended up turning
down her basal rates to 50% of her previous levels during camp and practice,
then 75% at night.  It worked well, she didn't have to have any more breaks
to eat than the other kids.  I just can't imagine trying to do that with

Nancy Morgan, Jenna's mom

<<But, realize I have never seen how big the pump is, doesn't under the arm
in her way?

I told you she was on the swim team, she is actually swimming at he national
level, she is a state champion.  This takes up a HUGE part of our time/  I'm
beginning to thenk this is not possible wihout a pump>>