[IP] How much fat is too much?

I'm a 45 yr old Type I diabetic (dxed 1964) who was on MDI for 17 years
until I started pumping a month ago. For YEARS I believed fats were free,
and so ladled butter on my limited potatoes, put good olive oil on salads,
etc. At night, when I got the munchies, I ate peanuts, or some other nuts,
without a care. Now, after reading Pumping Insulin, I learn that what I ate
with such carefree abandon can raise my BG hours later, in the middle of the
night! Which seems, from my numbers, to be true.

But I'm curious: how much fat in a dinner is too much fat? I've found myself
skipping salad dressing now, afraid of middle-of-the night highs. And I
don't dare touch peanut butter, which makes me sad.

Also: Does the fat DELAY the effect of the carbs? Or does it increase
resistence to mid-of-the-night insulin? Or what?

My bottom line question, I guess: Is any fat free anymore?